The Asia Research Institute (ARI) of the National University of Singapore (NUS) invites applications from citizens of Asian countries currently enrolled in a fulltime Master’s or PhD degree at a university in an Asian country (except Singapore) for consideration for the award of Asian Graduate Student Fellowships. Offered to graduate students working in the Humanities and Social Sciences on Southeast Asian topics, the fellowship will allow the recipients to be based at NUS for an ‘in residence fellowship’ for a period of six (6) weeks. The aim of the fellowship is to enable scholars to make full use of the wide range of resources held in the libraries of NUS and the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies.
INTENSIVE ENGLISH ACADEMIC WRITING COURSE
A limited number of students may be selected to take part in a two-week long intensive course on English academic writing. This program is specifically intended for students who struggle with writing and/or communicating in academic English. You are asked to indicate in your application if you see a need for participating in this course. If you have already received training in this field or if you are a (near) native speaker you might not benefit from this course. Please note that those students who enroll in the English academic writing program will thus have two weeks less time to conduct research locally. Please consider carefully what is more important to you at this stage of your career.
REQUIREMENTS & EXPECTATIONS
The fellowship will commence on 17 June 2019, and scholars are expected to finish a paper of 8,000 words and make a presentation on their work at the “Singapore Graduate Forum on Southeast Asian Studies” to be organized from 22 to 26 July 2019. You are requested to have a draft of your paper and to submit it not later than two weeks before commencing the fellowship program (04 June 2019). This paper will be shared with your local mentor in preparation for your interactions with her/him.
Successful candidates can expect the following benefits:
- A one-time allowance of SGD500.00
- A one-time round trip travel subsidy by the most economical and direct route (via budget airline if available) on a reimbursement basis upon being accepted for the fellowship.
- Access to library and computer resources on campus. You can look forward to excellent library and internet computer facilities at NUS’ main library (http://www.lib.nus.edu.sg/), the library at the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies (ISEAS) (https://www.iseas.edu.sg/library) and the Lee Kong Chian Reference Library at the National Library (http://www.nlb.gov.sg) to facilitate your research for the dissertation. NUS’ main library has 2 million volumes covering all topics while ISEAS’ library has 200,000 on Southeast Asian topics, half of which are in Southeast Asian languages.
- Exposure to seminars by various experts in the field.
- A mentor/advisor will be appointed based on candidate’s research topic.
- The Training Employment Pass and Visa will be arranged for by ARI.
- On-campus accommodation will be arranged by ARI.
Interested applicants are invited to e-mail:
- The Application Form, click here for Application Form.
- A 2-page outline of your research proposal in English. The 2-page research proposal must include the following details:
a) whether the data collection or fieldwork stage of the research has already been completed;
b) how the fellowship will contribute to the research
c) the types of sources to be consulted in Singapore
d) proposed work plan during the fellowship.
- One letter of reference from your principal thesis supervisor must be sent confidentially to the same e-mail address by the deadline of 15 December 2018. Since this fellowship offers the opportunity to enroll in an English Academic Writing Course specifically targeted at graduate students who might benefit from this, make sure your referee addresses how and why you would benefit from such a programme. If your wish is to conduct research locally in Singapore please make sure your referee addresses the usefulness and feasibility of this.
- Eligible candidates must have completed their fieldwork by the time the Fellowship starts in June 2019.
- Basic proficiency of the English Language.
Please send the completed application documents to Mdm Kalaichelvi at email@example.com by 15 December 2018. Referee must send the letter of reference in confidence to the same e-mail address.
See original webpage